This monastery (Agios Ioannis Theologos in Greek) lies in a verdant setting Southeast of the village of Anópoli. It used to be part of the Saint George (Agios Giorgios) monastery, which is located to the North, which was abandoned following the frequent pirate raids in the 15th and 16th centuries and all the monks moved to the monastery of Saint John.


During the Ottoman occupation of Crete, the monastery hosted Cretan revolutionaries and a secret school, something that lead the Ottomans to destroy it and kill the monks and the people of Anópoli in July 1896. The monastery was founded again some years later.